Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Better for you French Toast

As the only daughter, out of five kids, my next statement should will not come as a suprise to you.  My mother moved in with me, yesterday.  What may shock you is that I am not happy about it.  It isn't that I don't love my mother, because that's certainly not the case.  I love my mother very much. 

The problem is that for 29 years I've been taking care of people, in one form or another.  So, when Catherine, my youngest, graduated from high school in June, I was elated.  You could even say, I was tickled pink.  I finally had my life back.  I've done my duty as a parent (well, the part that I was legally obligated to do anyway).  I was going to turn her bedroom into "The Naked Room" (I've referenced this before; it's from the movie 'Failure to Launch').

However, my mother is at a point in her life that she cannot live alone.  She's needs help.  She's a diabetic, has other has medical issues, balance problems, and very little stamina.  She's not sickly, but she's not well ... enough.  Sigh, so how, as the only daughter, do I turn my back.  I don't; I can't.

So, my mother moved in with me yesterday and I lost my Naked Room.  And this morning, I made her French Toast.  I changed everything I knew about it, so I wouldn't feel bad about giving it to her.

2 whole eggs
3 egg whites
1 cup skim (fat free) milk
1 tps sugar
2 tbs ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
8 slices of 100% whole wheat bread
Cooking spray (such as Pam)

Heat a large (non-stick, if possible) skillet over medium heat.  In a bowl, combine all ingredients, except the cooking spray, and whisk until well blended, about a minute.

Lightly spray the pan with cooking spray.  Lay one slice of bread in the egg mixture for 5-10 seconds and flip with your fingers, or a fork and coat the other side.  Carefully move bread to heated pan.  Cook on one side for 1-2 mintues, or nicely golden brown. Flip and cook the other side until done, approxiately another minute (one way to test for doneness - press your finger into the bread, if it's firm, it's done).  Do not undercook because of the eggs.

Serve with a drizzle of honey or syrup.

Serves 4-5 people.

No comments: